It's day 3 of 4 Days of Christmas Festivities! Boiled Fruit Cake - This boiled fruit cake is stunning, delicious, and feeds a large crowd. Perfect for your Christmas Lunch!
- 375ml Granulated Sugar
- 250g Currants
- 250g Sultanas
- 250g Raisins
- 90g Mixed Peel
- 120g Dates
- 60g Ground Almonds
- 250g Nuts
- 250g Butter
- 375ml Water
Place the above ingredients in a large pot, slowly bring to the boil and simmer for 7 minutes. Allow to cool.
- 250g Glace Cherries
- 5 Extra Large Eggs
- 812ml (3 ¼ Cups) Sasko Cake Flour
- 5ml Salt
- 10ml Mixed Spice
- 10ml Ground Cinnamon
- 15ml Vanilla Extract
- 375ml Brandy
- 2.5ml Bicarb
- Sieve salt, spices and flour together.
- Beat eggs.
- Mix into the fruit and add the cherries.
- Lastly dissolve the bicarb in the vanilla extract & 250ml of brandy and
- Mix everything together well.
- Double line the inside of a 25cm tin with greaseproof paper and line the outside with thick brown paper.
- Bake for 90mins at 180°C then turn the oven down to 160°C and finish cooking for a further 60 minutes.
- Test by inserting a skewer in the middle of cake, if it comes out clean, it will be cooked
- Poor balance of the brandy over the cake when it comes out the oven.